tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:31:37 GMT
>>From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
>>Subject: RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
>>
>>Read the rest of that section of RUNNING.txt as well:
>>
>>"When you use $CATALINA_BASE, Tomcat will calculate all relative
>>references for files in the following directories based on the value of $CATALINA_BASE
instead of $CATALINA_HOME:
>>* bin  - Only setenv.sh (*nix), setenv.bat (windows) and tomcat-juli.jar
>>* conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
>>* logs - Log and output files
>>* webapps - Automatically loaded web applications
>>* work - Temporary working directories for web applications
>>* temp - Directory used by the JVM for temporary files (java.io.tmpdir)"

I saw this part but was confused about the word "relative" and thought it meant that somehow
Tomcat would still be using a relative reference to the original directories based on where
the $CATALINA_BASE directory was created.

>>You seem to be confusing installation directories with running processes;

I am.

>>Tomcat uses whatever CATALINA_BASE is active when Tomcat is run via
>>the startup.bat or catalina.bat scripts.  Since each user has complete
>>control over his/her environment variables, he or she can set the variable to any
value desired.

And that is the part that clears it up.  The users are starting and stopping Tomcat via the
scripts, not the windows process.

The other part that is confusing me is that what if all users are running a "process" of Tomcat
at the same time, I'm assuming they all have to use a separate HTTP port and shutdown port?