tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 21:38:55 GMT
In RUNNING.txt it says you can have a single copy of Tomcat binary shared among multiple users
on the same server by setting the "environment variable" $CATALINA_BASE to the directory that
contains the files for each personal Tomcat instance.

As simple as that reads, I don't understand it.  I don't understand how this is different
than a virtual host with different appBase's.  Is it saying that whoever has a user login
on the server can have their own Tomcat playground even though there is just one Tomcat installed?

So, if on Windows, you set a User environment variable of CATALINA_BASE to something like
C:\TomcatDevUser1  ... that's it?
Tomcat figures out the CATALINA_BASE variable depending on who is logged in?
Does C:\TomcatDevUser1 need a ROOT directory for their default webapp?

Leo