tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "David Karlsen" <>
Subject Problems after upgrading to Tomcat6
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 12:20:27 GMT
Dear list

I have recently been running Tomcat 5 on my server, without problems.
After an upgrade to Tomcat 6, however I get errors. During the upgrade I
manually removed all the Tomcat 5 packages, and dependent packages
before I installed new Tomcat 6 packages from the repo. The
system is a Centos 5 system. This is the error messages:

>From /var/log/tomcat6/catalina.out when running "service tomcat6 start":

WARNING: error instantiating 'org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager'
referenced by java.util.logging.manager, class not found

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
not found

   <<No stacktrace available>>

WARNING: error instantiating ','
referenced by handlers, class not found

   <<No stacktrace available>>

Exception during runtime initialization

   <<No stacktrace available>>

   <<No stacktrace available>>

Then Tomcat dies.

Running tomcat6-digest with root user gives:

SEVERE: Exception creating instance of

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase
not found in org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader{urls=[],
parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}}

   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(

   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(

   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Tool.main(

Can someone give me a hint about how to proceed here?

Mvh David Karlsen