tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Bruno <andrew.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Setting the Right Amount of Memory
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 22:55:47 GMT
Hi Eric,

Just wondering, what tools do you use to manage all the instances?
Also, what do you use to look for the OutOfMemory in logs?  I am
looking at Splunk too.

Andrew

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Robinson, Eric
<eric.robinson@psmnv.com> wrote:

> We run 150+ instances of tomcat on one server. To optimize memory
> utilization, each tomcat instance is configured with 64MB by default
> (export JAVA_OPTS="-ms64M -mx64M"). We then watch for
> Java.Lang.OutOfmemory errors in the logs. If we see any of these over
> time, we allocate additional RAM in 32MB increments until that instance
> stops throwing errors. Most instances are happy with 64MB. Some need
> 96MB or 128MB. We have never seen a tomcat instance that throws
> OutOfMemory errors with 256MB RAM.
>
> If tomcat is not throwing OutOfMemory errors and system responsiveness
> is good, is there really any reason to allocate higher amounts of RAM?
>
> --
> Eric Robinson
>

> Disclaimer - June 16, 2010
> This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for
Tomcat Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute,
copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of
the author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions
to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.