tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Self-Contained Web Applications
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:01:53 GMT
> From: Pid [mailto:pid@pidster.com]
> Subject: Re: Self-Contained Web Applications
>
> We can define a DataSource inside a Context already, hook up a locally
> configured Realm, and it'll use a driver from the web app ClassLoader,
> which makes the app completely self contained.
>
> I don't understand what Chris is getting at.  :s

Chris didn't mention anything about realms in his initial message.  What I interpreted his
posting to mean was he wanted container-managed connection pooling (and all other JNDI-based
resource usage) done without placing any classes in any global directory space.  In other
words, the Tomcat classes would use the webapp's classloader first before looking in any global
locations for necessary driver libraries.  This might require having the webapp classloader
get its own copies of the Tomcat classes, but it sounds doable with a bit of re-plumbing.

 - Chuck