tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:15:53 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
>
> I didn't realize that the server JVM didn't share class
> templates. Do you have any ideas why not?

AFAIK, Sun just hadn't gotten around to it yet; don't know if it's in JRE 7 or not.  Class
sharing is primarily of interest in environments where startup time is critical, and Sun didn't
think that the server JVM would be subject to that issue.  However, with more and more 64-bit
environments being available (eg, everybody's laptops) that have only a server JVM on them,
that decision looks like it's no longer valid.  Note that the client and server JVMs are really
two entirely different beasts, so the data structures from one are not easily translated to
the other.

 - Chuck