tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:00:48 GMT
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Showing Tomcat Memory Utilization with 'top'
>
> Also, I believe VIRT includes memory shared with other processes

Doesn't RES also include shared pages - anything that's in the memory map of the process?
 (I can't remember exactly how that works, but the shared pages have to be accounted for somewhere.)

> so if you have 50MiB of Java system classes loaded and a modern
> JVM which shares them among running JVMs

Note that only the client HotSpot JVM shares classes; the server version does not.  (The sharing
is really class templates, not the class objects themselves.)

 - Chuck