tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 04:13:46 GMT
> From: Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX [mailto:LeoDonahue@mail.maricopa.gov]
> Subject: RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
>
> The doc didn't mention that Tomcat will calculate a "relative"
> reference for files in /lib, a few lines above this quote.

Correct, because Tomcat doesn't.  $CATALINA_BASE/lib is searched before $CATALINA_HOME/lib,
that's all.

> I'm assuming I also need a /lib directory in $CATALINA_BASE then.

No, you only need a $CATALINA_BASE/lib if you want to have an instance-specific jar or class
in there, rather than using the common ones in $CATALINA_HOME/lib.

> If I place copies(?) of bin, conf, logs, webapps, work and temp in my
> $CATALINA_BASE directory, then how is that different from just
> downloading multiple Tomcat zip files and naming them separately,
> changing the startup/shutdown ports on each?

It's not, so don't do that.

> The only thing I'm gaining is only needing the two files in my
> $CATALINA_BASE/bin  instead of all the other files?

That and not needing copies of the 16 or so jars in the lib directory.

> What was the deciding factor to be able to run multiple Tomcat
> instances?

It's simply another option available to you.  You have to decide if it's useful or not in
your situation.

 - Chuck