tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <>
Subject Re: problems at
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 19:58:54 GMT
Chris, based on what you're saying and the server.xml posted earlier in this thread, the following
should be done?

1. Remove the JDBCRelm from the Engine node
2. Create a GlobalNamingResources Resource entry with the following:

  description="The Jar Bar user authentication"
  maxActive="10" maxIdle="3"
  validationQuery="/* ping */ SELECT 1"

This is basically what I would normally put in the context.xml file of a web application for
an application-specific database connection.

3. Then create a DataSource Realm under the Engine node to replace

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm"

It was a little unclear to me from the documentation that I could put all of the resource
attributes in a GlobalNamingResources Resource entry. It was also a little unclear to me that
I could just refer to a global resource name with dataSourceName in the Realm.

Thanks for clearing that up.

. . . just my two cents