tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject RE: Setting the Right Amount of Memory
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 03:52:15 GMT
>> For what it's worth, either this is not the case in our
>> real-world situation or the effect is negligible.

> Not surprising - you'd have to be very unlucky to be right
> at the edge and see a lot of GC activity and be able to
> continue running.  Usually you'll be over the edge a bit,
> encounter OOMEs, increase the heap significantly, and be
> well away from the frequent tight heap scenario.

What qualifies as a tight heap and what qualifies as a significant
increase? Usually when we see OOMEs we increase the allocation by 32MB
and they go away.

To return to the original question, is it generally better to custom-fit
the RAM allocation (as we currently do) or to unilaterally set all
instances to a higher amount that we know will not generate OOMEs, such
as 512MB?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - June 20, 2010
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Tomcat
Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy
or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions
to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.