tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject RE: Setting the Right Amount of Memory
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 02:06:13 GMT
> Having a borderline heap size can, in the worst case, result
> in almost continual GC activity, if there is only room to
> allocate a minimal number of objects between GC occurrences.

For what it's worth, either this is not the case in our real-world
situation or the effect is negligible. Even though we have 160 instances
of tomcat on the same server, and all of them are trimmed to use the
minimum RAM (usually 64-96MB) and all instances are quite actively being
used, the server is still 90% idle during peak load. The server is an
8-core 2.6GHz Xeon with 32GB RAM (10GB free and no swapping).

Disclaimer - June 20, 2010
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Tomcat
Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy
or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions
to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.