tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject RE: Setting the Right Amount of Memory
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 07:59:37 GMT
> If your heap size is right on the edge of your minimum for a Tomcat
> instance, you may be doing more GC work than is really needed.
> However, if you're satisfied with the response time and
> CPU utilization, you should be ok.

My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to check it with the community. FYI,
with 160 instances of tomcat running at the same time, CPU is still 90%
idle even during peak production hours. Now the software vendor is
coming along and forcing us to set the heap for each instance to 512MB
when 64MB or 96MB works fine. It's unnecessarily expensive and super
frustrating.

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - June 17, 2010
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Tomcat
Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy
or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions
to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.