tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robin...@psmnv.com>
Subject Setting the Right Amount of Memory
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:42:26 GMT

We run 150+ instances of tomcat on one server. To optimize memory
utilization, each tomcat instance is configured with 64MB by default
(export JAVA_OPTS="-ms64M -mx64M"). We then watch for
Java.Lang.OutOfmemory errors in the logs. If we see any of these over
time, we allocate additional RAM in 32MB increments until that instance
stops throwing errors. Most instances are happy with 64MB. Some need
96MB or 128MB. We have never seen a tomcat instance that throws
OutOfMemory errors with 256MB RAM.

If tomcat is not throwing OutOfMemory errors and system responsiveness
is good, is there really any reason to allocate higher amounts of RAM?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - June 16, 2010
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Tomcat
Users List. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy
or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the
author and might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable precautions
to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot accept responsibility for
any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.