tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Brisbin <jon.bris...@npcinternational.com>
Subject Re: Session clustering across different contexts
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:12:15 GMT

On Jun 15, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 15/06/2010 06:21, Andrew Bruno wrote:
>> I am testing this on my laptop, windows 7 64bit, tomcat 6
>>
>> If I use the same contexts, i.e.
>>
>> localhost:8181/r2 and localhost:8080/r2 the sessions are replicated
>> across them no problem.
>>
>> If I use a different context, e.g. r3 but same web app deployed, the
>> sessions are no replicated, and I get this warning:
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.ha.session.ClusterSessionListener messageReceived
>> WARNING: Context manager doesn't exist:localhost#/r2
>
> Correct. What you are trying to do is not supported. Tomcat has no mechanism to map /r2
in one instance to /r3 in another.

As a shameless plug, the new session manager I wrote (which we're using internally in our
Tomcat cloud) does this just fine because it doesn't care about contexts or IP addresses or
anything like that. If the session manager is configured to connect to the same exchanges
and RabbitMQ server as other Tomcat instances, the sessions will be shared.

I'm doing a write-up on it now for tomcatexpert.com

Code is on GitHub: http://github.com/jbrisbin/vcloud/tree/master/session-manager/

Downside is it requires another component (RabbitMQ).

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.