tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Application stops responding, jk worker in error state
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 08:32:16 GMT
On 18.06.2010 07:19, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have Tomcat 6.0.26 running behind Apache and am using the
> JK Connector to communicate between them.
>
> My application stops responding on occasion.
>
> I added the jk status page to the web server and checked it
> when the application becomes non-responsive.
>
> The tomcat worker has this info:
>
> Worker Status for tomcat
> Type Hostname Address:Port Connection Pool Timeout Connect Timeout Prepost
> Timeout Reply Timeout Retries Recovery Options Max Packet Size
> ajp13 localhost 127.0.0.1:8009 600 0 0 0 2 0
>
> State Acc Err CE RE Wr Rd Busy Max LR LE
> ERR 6 (0/sec) 2 0 0 4.8K (7 /sec) 12K (18 /sec) 0 2 663 Fri, 18 Jun 2010
> 00:06:17 CDT
>
> Note the state is ERR.
>
> Does this mean the worker crashed or does it mean my application is
> locked up?
>
> Any ideas how to diagnose this?

It means mod-jk detected a communication error when trying to interact
with Tomcat. Like it couldn't open a connection, it didn't get the
answer, ... The exact types of detected errors depend on your mod_jk
configuration. How to diagnose? Look at the mod_jk error log. Whenever a
worker is put into error state, there will be at least one log message
of type "[error]" in the mod-jk log. If you increase your JkLogLevel to
info, the info log lines around the error line will contain more hints
about the root cause, info level messages without an accompanying error
message are harmless.

If you are going to post part of your log file, please also do provide
your mod_jk configuration and version information.

Regards,

Rainer