tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat unexpected shutdown on Solaris
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:17:21 GMT
On 17.06.2010 05:35, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Marco Castillo [mailto:mabcastillo@vdkit.net]
>> Subject: Tomcat unexpected shutdown on Solaris
>>
>> I have checked all the logs and there is no exception displayed,
>> no error, nothing. I look for an error file from java, but there
>> is no one. It happens randomly. Sometimes the Tomcat works for
>> large periods of time, sometimes it shutdowns 5 minutes after it
>> has been started. Does somebody has any idea?
>
> Likely one of your webapps (possibly a 3rd-party library) is calling System.exit() -
very anti-social behavior.  You can use a security manager to prevent it and catch the culprit.

... or you are starting Tomcat with an interactive shell, and the shell
is one of those which sends a signal (SIGHUP or similar) to all child
processes when you logout (or get logged out by some idleness condition
or similar). See "man nohup".

Regards,

Rainer