tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Tomcat Instances
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:44:03 GMT
Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
>>> From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
>>> Subject: RE: Multiple Tomcat Instances
>>>
>>> Read the rest of that section of RUNNING.txt as well:
>>>
>>> "When you use $CATALINA_BASE, Tomcat will calculate all relative
>>> references for files in the following directories based on the value of $CATALINA_BASE
instead of $CATALINA_HOME:
>>> * bin  - Only setenv.sh (*nix), setenv.bat (windows) and tomcat-juli.jar
>>> * conf - Server configuration files (including server.xml)
>>> * logs - Log and output files
>>> * webapps - Automatically loaded web applications
>>> * work - Temporary working directories for web applications
>>> * temp - Directory used by the JVM for temporary files (java.io.tmpdir)"
>
> I saw this part but was confused about the word "relative" and thought it meant that
somehow Tomcat would still be using a relative reference to the original directories based
on where the $CATALINA_BASE directory was created.

>>> You seem to be confusing installation directories with running processes;
>
> I am.
>
>>> Tomcat uses whatever CATALINA_BASE is active when Tomcat is run via
>>> the startup.bat or catalina.bat scripts.  Since each user has complete
>>> control over his/her environment variables, he or she can set the variable to
any value desired.

> And that is the part that clears it up.  The users are starting and stopping Tomcat via
the scripts, not the windows process.

> The other part that is confusing me is that what if all users are running a "process"
of Tomcat at the same time, I'm assuming they all have to use a separate HTTP port and shutdown
port?

You are not confused here. That is correct.
If you have several Tomcat /instances/ (actually, they will be instances of java, running

Tomcat), not two of them can open the same server port at the same time.
If you are running one single instance of Tomcat (of java running Tomcat) with several
"virtual hosts" defined in it, then there is only a single shutdown port, and there /can/

be a single HTTP port shared by all virtual hosts (or, just to add some confusion, there
can also be several ports :-)).