tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: ISAPI log question regarding authentication
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:49:54 GMT
Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 11.06.2010 23:21, Savoy, Melinda wrote:
>> I am working in my local Eclipse development environment on a Windows
>> XP box.  (As stated in a previous post, I was able to get
>> authentication working in the Windows 2003 environment after talking
>> to a MS IIS engineer)
>>
>> I just got off of a phone call with another IIS engineer at Microsoft
>> regarding the authentication issue again that I am getting Windows XP
>> and we spotted something interesting in the ISAPI log and wanted to
>> run it by you guys.
>>
>> I've now setup my IIS and browser in Windows XP to FORCE NTLM
>> authentication and I am getting in the request, per the ISAPI log, the
>> credentials that it passes from IIS to Tomcat.
>>
>> What is interesting is that it would appear that from the ISAPI log
>> that the AJP is returning a 401 code to the browser and therefore
>> executing a Windows Login prompt. Please see bolded/red type below.
>>
>> Below is a copy of the entries in my ISAPI log and wanted to get any
>> input on WHY it would appear that the redirector is returning a 401
>> status back to my IE or Firefox browser(?):
>
> Because it receives a 401 response form your web application in Tomcat
> and forwards the response as is to the client. So why is your web
> application sending a 401?

By "application", understand the complete webapp stack, including any
servlet filters which may be configured there.

A 401 is not an error.  It is the normal response of the server, in the
NTLM protocol, when trying to access a protected resource.
My guess in this case and at this point, is that it is the "legacy
filter" (jCIFS-based) which sits on top of the webapp, and which does
not check if the request is already authenticated, but returns a 401
right away.  Is that a possibility ?