tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to configure a web app
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:19:11 GMT
David kerber wrote:
> On 6/10/2010 3:52 PM, André Warnier wrote:

>> Does there exist *any* way to put the actual values "value1", "value2",
>> etc.. in some place *outside* the web.xml file, and *outside* the war
>> that would be created for this application, and still allow the
>> application, on startup, to read the values of these parameters "from
>> web.xml" ?
>
> How early is "on startup" for your purposes?  Will it be early enough if
> you read them in from a servletContextListener?  That's where I pull in
> my external properties files, and is executed pretty early in the tomcat
> startup sequence.  Certainly before anybody can try to log into it.

David,
the point here is : this is unknown, because these parameters are being
read (in some cases) by applications or filters which we did not write
ourselves and do not have the source of.
That is also why they *must* be "in web.xml" as opposed to somewhere
else more practical : because the application/filter manual says that
this is where they should be, and we cannot change that.

So we are looking for something transparent to an application/filter,
without changing the code of that application/filter.