tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HyperLink Office connection
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:36:08 GMT
Hi.

I am glad that you found a solution that works for you, and maybe the
most important at this point is that it quickly solves your problem.

About the solution below however, I want to point out that it is rather
"expensive" in many respects, and I hope that this is not supposed to be
a high-volume server.
What is happening in your schema is :
- Word requests a page by sending a HTTP request to the server
(directly, or going through some IE functionality)
- the server gets the request
- the server starts a new separate perl interpreter process
- the perl interpreter compiles your script
- the perl interpreter runs your script, producing the initial html
response, and exits
- Apache reads the response from perl and sends it to the browser
- the browser (or Word) receives the html page
- the browser (or Word) interprets the refresh header, and makes a new
request to the server
- the server now processes what should have been the original request

I am a fan of Apache and perl myself, but you may want to revise this a
bit if this is supposed to handle many clients.