tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: HyperLink Office connection
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 19:25:41 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: HyperLink Office connection
>>
>> Or do you mean that Word has some kind of embedded web
>> browser (almost certainly MSIE).
>
> Yes, MS Office products have done this for ages.  IE is a just a rendering engine that
can be invoked by pretty much any program to display HTML in any window the program provides.
 I think it's running as a separate child process rather than in-process, but I'm not positive
about that.

Probably that is what is happening.  Word has some embedded "browser
capability" (using a part of IE's DLL's), but it probably does not
support the full set of IE capabilities (like cookies e.g), which may be
the reason of the OP's problem.

Antonio :
When Word is doing the login, Tomcat returns a re-direct response to the
original requested page, along with a "Set-Cookie" header containing the
session-id.  However, Word does not take this Set-Cookie header into
account, and does not send the Cookie header when it re-requests the
protected page.  So Tomcat thinks this is a new session, and sends the
request somewhere else.
Or something of the kind.

You nmay have better luck using the setup whereby Tomcat does not use
session-id cookies, but embeds the session-id in the URL.  Someone here
should intervene, and tell you how to achieve this.

Anyway, this is all quite inelegant, and likely to cause variable
behaviour depending on which browser version is installed, which local
software is installed, which DLLs and so on.
If this whole thing is supposed to work inside a local Windows-based
network, for Windows workstations and users already logged-in into the
Windows domain, then I would suggest that you redesign your scheme to
work using the Windows Integrated Authentication (aka NTLM).
I have not tried it, but I am quite sure that MS-Word will support this,
and there are several solutions for supporting this in Tomcat.