tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How to configure a web app
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 15:28:18 GMT
Thomas Kloeber wrote:
> David kerber wrote on 09.06.2010 15:45:
>> On 6/9/2010 9:36 AM, Thomas Kloeber wrote:
>>> Is this such an unusal thing that one has to configure webapp files with
>>> site specific information?
>> Beyond 1-time initial configuration, I would say it is unusual.
> it is a 1-time configuration, not something that needs to be done over
> and over again.
>>> How do people do it?
>> In my case, the site-specific settings are either in the backing
>> database or in a separate properties file, and all can be configured
>> from within the application itself (using a separate administrative
>> login, of course).  As part of the method that saves the settings to
>> permanent storage, I also apply them to the application's current
>> settings so they take effect immediately.
> the problems I have are:
>
>    * the IP address of the backing database is one of the parameters
>      that needs to be configured (in context.xml), so I can't get any
>      data from the db unless it is configured...
>    * the other confgurables (SPNEGO and kerberos stuff)  are in web.xml
>      and as long as they are not set up correct, my app won't start!
>    * sounds like a catch 22 to me ...

Yes, it is.
I have the same problem with some third-party servlet filters which need
site-specific parameters in web.xml, and customer sysadmins who insist
on receiving application updates as war files.
In such cases, I have to manually edit the web.xml to insert their
site-specific data, and then repack the war file before sending it to them.
It is basically a problem of these additional modules, not of Tomcat per
se.  The modules should have a separate file with these site-specific
things, so that you could deliver the separate file once, and the war
would not be site-specific.