tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How can I get the user value in the request forwarded to my Tomcat in my Java app?
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:29:33 GMT
Savoy, Melinda wrote:
> I finally got my Windows 2003 development box setup with the Tomcat Connector and IIS
6.0.  The following is my setup:

> In the server.xml file I have the following in the HOST element:
>
> <!-- Define the default virtual host
>            Note: XML Schema validation will not work with Xerces 2.2.
>        -->
>       <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>             unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="false"
>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
>         <!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications
>              Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
>         -->
>
>         <!-- Access log processes all example.
>              Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
>         <!--
>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve" directory="logs"
>                prefix="localhost_access_log." suffix=".txt" pattern="common" resolveHosts="false"/>
>         -->
>
>       </Host>
>
>         <Host name="scmisdev" appBase="scmisapp"
>                 unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="false"
>                 xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
>                 <Alias>scmisdev</Alias>

not necessary, since this is already the hostname

>                 <Alias>scmisdev.texashealth.org</Alias>
>       </Host>

Why this second Host anyway ?

> In my uriworkermap.properties file:
>
> /scmisdev/*=scmisWorker
> /scmisdev/*.jsp=scmisWorker
> /scmisdev/servlet/*=scmisWorker

the first one covers the other 2, so why have them ?

> In my workers.properties file:
>
> # workers.properties from = http://onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/12/18/tomcat.html
> #
> # This file provides minimal jk configuration properties needed to
> # connect to Tomcat.
> #
> # The workers that jk should create and work with
>
> worker.list=scmisWorker
>
> #
> # Defining a worker named ajp13w and of type ajp13
> # Note that the name and the type do not have to match.
> #
> worker.scmisWorker.port=8009
> worker.scmisWorker.host=localhost
> worker.scmisWorker.type=ajp13
>
> In IIS I have the Default Web Site setup with:
>
> ISAPI Filters:  jakarta and it points to C:\Server\Tomcat 6.0\bin\isapi_redirect.dll
> And the Directory Security is:  Enable anonymous access (checked only)
>
> In IIS I have the jakarta virtual directory setup with:
>
> Where the local path is:  C:\Server\Tomcat 6.0\bin
> And the Directory Security is:  Integrated Windows authentication (checked only)
>
> In IIS I have the scmisdev virtual directory setup with:
>
> Where the local path is:  C:\Server\Tomcat 6.0\scmisapp\ROOT\WEB-INF (points to WEB-INF
directory)
> And the Directory Security is:  Integrated Windows authentication (checked only)

It seems that you have not learned a lot, or forgotten what you
previously learned.

Why do you need this last "virtual directory" in IIS ?
The "jakarta" virtual directory will already re-direct (or rather
"proxy") all the calls to "/scmisdev/*" to Tomcat.
You do not want IIS to go directly put its nose in the Tomcat
directories.  You want it to go through the isapi redirector for that,
which you already do with the jakarta virtual directory setup.

> However my result when going to URL  http://localhost/scmisdev is:
>
> HTTP Status 404 - /scmisdev/
>
> Type Status report
>
> Message /scmisdev/
>
> Description The requested resource (/scmisdev/) is not available.
>
> Any suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Ok, what does this error page look like ? Does it look like a Tomcat
error page ?

Melinda, it seems that you are mixing two issues (again) :
- the first is in the basic setup of IIS+Tomcat, and how to set things
up so that the URLs which you are interested in are actually redirected
to Tomcat in the proper way.
- the second is, once the first one is working properly, to set things
up so that IIS authenticates users which request these URLs, and that
the isapi redirector forwards this authentication to Tomcat (which it
does, by default).