tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Problems after upgrading to Tomcat6
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 11:02:12 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:

>>> You need to use a real JVM (HotSpot, JRockit, IBM), not a toy one.
>> Remove gcj from your system as quickly as possible.
>>
>> It seems like jpackage.org packages is having dependency towards gcj. Do
>> you know perhaps about another repertory that contains prebuilt packages
>> for Centos 5?
>>
>> It seems strange dough, that jpackage.org should build packages that is
>> designed not to work on the system the packages is build for. Are you
>> certain that it isn't any more convenience way to do this than changing
>> the JVM?
>>
>> If you read jpackage.org's mission, it is to use FOSS packages wherever
> possible.  Unfortunately, this means that they prefer GCJ (a toy, as Chuck
> says) over software that is available for $0 but not free-as-in-speech.
> This is an ideological choice, not a technical one.
>
> And, no, there's no more convenient way to fix this than to change the JVM
> to a real one.  You don't have to use the Sun JVM; it looks like jpackage
> has details for both the BEA and IBM ones.

Let me add something to the above :
I do not have specific experience with CentOS, but I do with Debian Linux.
When you install Debian Linux, by default it will install and configure
as default some specific java package (for example gcj or OpenJdk).
When you then install Tomcat from a package, this Tomcat package will
detect the installed java, and adapt all its links and references in
function of that java package.
If you then install the Sun or IBM java package, and make it be the
default, that leaves these pre-configured Tomcat links partly wrong, and
you get in lots of trouble.

The right approach is thus :
- de-install Tomcat (and use some "purge" option to purge all the links
it built)
- install a "real" JDK or JRE
- configure this JDK/JRE in your OS as the "default java". This is
important.
(For example under Debian this would be done with the command :
update-alternatives --config java
)
- then re-install Tomcat, so that it finds the correct libraries and
creates the correct links, to the "real" JDK/JRE.