tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: tomcat and log4j version - any dependency issues?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:46:15 GMT
On 02.06.2010 00:15, Johan Martinez wrote:
> Thanks for sharing this info.
>
> I was considering 1.3 version for better management - purging log files
> before certain date, log4j 1.3 provides max. backup index option with
> DailyRollingFileAppender. I am also looking at logrotate and cronolog for
> this, but not sure if I could use it in conjunction with
> DailyRollingFileAppender. Any thoughts?

Have a look at the "extras" for 1.2. Many of the rolling policy
additions have been backported to 1.2. I've got no experience on my own
with those, and since they are not bundled, they might still not be in
wide use, so use with care:

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/

http://logging.apache.org/log4j/companions/extras/apidocs/index.html

There's not much docs for it around, you can get some things from the
javadoc, other info from the abandoned 1.3 branch might apply to the extras.

One example for what you are looking for could be
TimeBasedRollingPolicy. One example for how to use it can be found on

http://wiki.apache.org/logging-log4j/Log4jXmlFormat

Regards,

Rainer