tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: tomcat and log4j version - any dependency issues?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 22:01:48 GMT
On 01.06.2010 23:07, Johan Martinez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Tomcat 5.5.28 with JDK 1.5 (and 1.6 on different machine). Right
> now I have log4j 1.2 version, but I would like use log4j 1.3+ now. Are there
> any dependency/support issues that I should consider?

Citing from the Log4J homepage:

===

Apache log4j has three development branches: a stable branch, 1.2; a
discontinued branch, 1.3; and an experimental branch, 2.0.

Apache log4j 1.2 releases are widely deployed. Development on the 1.2
branch is generally limited to bug fixing and minor enhancements.

Apache log4j 1.3 alpha releases are in limited use. Apache log4j 1.3
added many interesting features, but was compatibility with log4j 1.2
was problematic. Many features original developed for log4j 1.3 have
been back-ported as companions for log4j 1.2. No further development is
anticipated for log4j 1.3.

Apache log4j 2.0 is an experimental development branch for logging
services designed for Java 5 and later.

===

So I think you should reconsider switching to 1.3. It's a dead end
street. They recently released 1.2.16.

Regards,

Rainer