tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Ramin <jeff.ra...@singlewire.com>
Subject Re: possible to define/deploy a context but not start it?
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 16:36:51 GMT
On 05/29/2010 08:30 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2010/5/29 Pid<pid@pidster.com>:
>
>> On 28/05/2010 19:07, Jeff Ramin wrote:
>>
>>> Running tomcat 5.5.20.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to configure tomcat such that it is aware of a webapp
>>> (context),
>>> but doesn't start it (process requests) when tomcat starts?
>>>
>> Kinda.  Examine the docs, look at the Host and Context attributes, for
>> 'deployOnStartup', 'autoDeploy' and 'reloadable'.  Depending on what you
>> need it might be all-or-nothing situation though.
>>

> It is possible to turn off auto-deploy (autoDeploy, deployOnStartup),
> i.e. the webapplication will be present in webapps folder, but it will
> not be running, nor will it be listed by Tomcat Manager.
>
> Deploying a webapplication, though, always starts it.
>
> If a webapplication is included as a<Context>  element in server.xml
> (usually not recommended), it is always deployed and started when
> server starts, regardless of deployOnStartup option.
>
> Besides the documentation, you may also want to look at the archives
> of this list.  deployOnStartup/autoDeploy were discussed several
> times.

Thanks. I just read the thread from a couple weeks ago regarding autoDeploy
and deployOnStartup. I'm still not quite sure I can make tomcat do what
I want it
to, so let me be explicit...

I want to start an application via JMX. Thus, tomcat needs to be
running, so that
the JMX agent is available. But, I don't want my web application to be
available
until it gets explicitly started as the result of a JMX invocation of a
WebModule bean.

Does that make sense? Is this possible? I haven't been able to make it
work on my
dev machine thus far.

Thanks!

--