tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Savoy, Melinda" <MelindaSa...@texashealth.org>
Subject RE: Still having problem retrieving user value from ISAPI Filter for authentication
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:45:18 GMT
We had been working with JCIFS and chose the Tomcat Connector for IIS because we're primarily
a MS shop and already had IIS in place here.  The team lead who had written this custom code
is no longer with the company and I've had to try and figure out what all he did and then
try to implement this Tomcat connector.

I've been able to talk to this former team lead and he basically told me the following on
the filter:

The filter basically takes the request/response and does create an auth value using the Base64Decoder
and Base64Encoder from Sun and we populate a User object that is then used throughout the
session for authentication purposes within the application as well as initially getting to
the index.jsp page.  I was testing, by commenting out the filter in my web.xml, to see if
I could just get to a vanilla index.jsp page that only contained:  <%=getRemoteUser()%>
so that I could make certain that I could get that value which I understood I should be able
to without setting up REALM's or auth in the config.  But after getting IIS to talk to Tomcat
last week I've been trying to get this to work and to no avail as of today and therefore the
reason for my post this morning.

I understood that the ISAPI filter provided the decrypted info that JCIFS had un decrypting
and that is why we chose this route.  But it seems like it is a lot more involved that what
I read about and what I've understood from others on this list - which is fine but it was
not as simple as I understood or misunderstood as the case may be.

Sorry I cannot be more specific.  Hope this helps.