tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Gurkan Erdogdu <gurkanerdo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 6.0 documentation: is classloading description correct?
Date Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:04:08 GMT
Use "Class Loader Definitions" carefully,

System - This class loader is normally initialized from the contents of the CLASSPATH environment
variable.
All such classes are visible to both Tomcat internal classes, and to web applications.  However,
the standard Tomcat 6 startup scripts ($CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh or %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina.bat)
totally ignore the
contents of the CLASSPATH environment variable itself, and
instead build the System class loader from the following repositories:

I think that documentation is correct,

--Gurkan

________________________________
From: "Peter_Ford@blm.gov" <Peter_Ford@blm.gov>
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Sent: Wed, June 16, 2010 9:42:35 PM
Subject: Tomcat 6.0 documentation: is classloading description correct?

Looking at section 10 of the 6.0 user guide, which describes classloading,
the text makes perfect sense and matches the way I understand things work.
However the summary at the end of the section "Class Loader Definitions"
looks wrong; it basically says that the search order is...

Bootstrap
$CLASSPATH
WEB-INF/classes
WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
$CATALINA_HOME/lib
$CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar

...when my understanding is it should be...

WEB-INF/classes
WEB-INF/lib/*.jar
Bootstrap
$CLASSPATH
$CATALINA_HOME/lib
$CATALINA_HOME/lib/*.jar

So, is the documentation just wrong, or have I misunderstood something?