tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com>
Subject [OT] Re: problems at thejarbar.org
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:27:52 GMT
Chris,

I think it all depends what you need your Realm to manage.

In this instance (single application on Tomcat), then it probably doesn't matter if the Realm
sits at the application, Host, or Engine level.

Like you've pointed out before it's nice to have a self-contained application with all of
the database configurations in one spot. Having some database configurations in META-INF/context.xml,
and others in Tomcat's server.xml seems to be a maintenance / migration challenge waiting
to happen.

If you have multiple applications using the same Realm information, then it might make sense
to move the Realm to a Host or Engine level. However I cannot think of a good use case off
the top of my head to potentially run multiple hosts under one Engine with the same authentication
Realm . . . .

Maybe a better place to document all of this and some use case scenarios would be the Wiki.
Since I'm thinking about this, I'll see what I can cobble up in the next few days.

Thanks for the comments . . . .

/mde/