tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Borut Hadžialić <>
Subject Re: apache 2 + tomcat 6 virtualhost question
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 22:31:22 GMT
Hi Patricio, try this:

1. Redeploy your app in tomcat so it shows at http://mydomain:8080/ instead
of http://mydomain:8080/myapp

How you do this depends on how you deployed the app in the first place -

a) if you deployed a myapp.war and use autodeploy, then rename it to
ROOT.war and redeploy it
b) if you are using a <Context element, set its path attribute to ""

2. Add an AJP connector to your tomcat's conf/server.xml eg:
<Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443"
  and restart tomcat

3. Define an apache mod_jk worker eg:

4. Add a virtual host in apache configuration:

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
    DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs"   <--- this is irrelevant
because of JkMount /*
#    ServerAlias
    ErrorLog "logs/"
    CustomLog "logs/" common#
    JkMount /* myapp

5. Make sure mod_jk config is in apache conf:
<IfModule jk_module>
JkWorkersFile   /usr/local/apache2/conf/
JkShmFile       /usr/local/apache2/logs/mod_jk.shm
JkLogFile       /usr/local/apache2/logs/mod_jk.log
JkLogLevel      info

Restart apache.

In that case files in /home/mydomain/htdocs are no longer relevant.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Bithost Ltda. <>wrote:

>  Hello
> I'm new to tomcat and i have some experience with apache, i have a debian
> server with apache 2.2 + mod_jk and tomcat 6 server.
> My doc root for my site is /home/mydomain/htdocs and i have a site which is
> using a WAR which i deployed it via the tomcat manager.
> So far if i go to http://mydomain:8080/myapp it shows fine, but now what i
> need is that if i type it has to show the app directly.
> I've managed to create an htaccess with a 301 redirect to the url
> http://mydomain:8080/myapp as a temporal fix, but what i need is that when
> i type it goes to my app and stays with the mydomain.comurl.
> How can i do that? do you need any config file? any help is appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Patricio López Salgado
> Jefe de Operaciones