tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ken Bowen <kbo...@als.com>
Subject Re: changing tomcat-users.xml makes tomcat unresponsive
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 19:11:01 GMT
The standard Tomcat package from apache.org comes with an examples app
pre-installed.
The various packagers (incl. Ubuntu) mangle Tomcat in a variety of ways.
Standard advice on this list for something like your situation seems
to be is to first
download a clean Tomcat package from apache.org, and install it in
some other folder with a simple unzip.
Then see how it behaves, and make comparisons to your present install.

On May 2, 2010, at 1:37 PM, paul geer wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.  Do you mean the original installation of
> ubuntu or
> tomcat?  I restored the tomcat settings back to the original state,
> but
> cannot see that an examples app is pre-installed.  If it's something
> I need
> to deploy myself, I'm not sure how to do that without access to the
> management console.
>
> If you meant the original 8.4 ubuntu, I was hoping to try other
> solutions
> before doing that.  I'm completely willing to, as I'm not attached to
> anything I've done, but since it's inconvenient I would rather wait.
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Pid <pid@pidster.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/05/2010 18:19, paul geer wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I had an installation of ubuntu 8.04 that I recently upgraded to
>>> 9.10.  I
>>> barely used it before the upgrade so the system was very close to
>>> a fresh
>>> install of 8.04 before the upgrade.
>>>
>>> I installed tomcat6 with apt-get.  After setting everything up, I
>>> checked
>>> that I could access the "It works" default page from both inside
>>> my home
>>> network and would accept outside connections.  Clicking the link
>>> for the
>>> manager console prompted me for a username and password, but since
>>> I had
>> not
>>> yet made changes to tomcat-users.xml, it failed as expected.
>>>
>>> I edited the file (/etc/tomcat6/tomcat-users.xml), uncommented the
>>> "existing" users and added a manager role and a manager user with
>>> that
>>> role.  Upon restarting the server, any attempt to connect to the