tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Log4j logging doesn't work when a web application is moved outside Tomcat/webapps directory
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 13:31:33 GMT
> From: Nuno Faria [mailto:nuno.m.faria@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Log4j logging doesn't work when a web application is moved
> outside Tomcat/webapps directory
>
> Following this thread and reading the docs I created virtual hosts
> using the same webapps dir

That's a really, really bad idea - the hosts can easily scribble on each other when expanding
war files.  Don't do it, even in development.

> (it is a development environment with CVS and I would have
> to change many things to accomplish one webapp folder per
> virtual host).

Much better to spend the effort up front to do things the right way than have to always wonder
if the cause of strange behavior is due to having an invalid configuration.

> <Context path="" docBase="foo" reloadable="true" />

As always, don't put <Context> elements in server.xml.  The above got you double deployment
of the foo webapp, once as foo, once as the default.

Why do people invite problems when it's so easy to do things properly?

>     <Context path="" docBase="bar" reloadable="true" />

Same comment as above.

> with this I avoid full apps initialization on Tomcat Startup

No, you don't - each app has to be initialized for each <Host> (or in your case, multiple
times for each <Host>).  All you might have avoided is expanding the .war files, which
for development purposes you didn't need in the first place.

 - Chuck