tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Too many open files
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 09:54:28 GMT
privat@samea.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with my little CORBA-Servlet.
> Allways I get this error:
>
> java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
>     sun.nio.ch.Net.socket0(Native Method)
>     sun.nio.ch.Net.socket(Net.java:97)
>     sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.<init>(SocketChannelImpl.java:84)
>     sun.nio.ch.SelectorProviderImpl.openSocketChannel(SelectorProviderImpl.java:37)
>
>     java.nio.channels.SocketChannel.open(SocketChannel.java:105)
>     java.nio.channels.SocketChannel.open(SocketChannel.java:145)
>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.transport.DefaultSocketFactoryImpl.createSocket(DefaultSocketFactoryImpl.java:60)

> com.sun.corba.se.impl.transport.SocketOrChannelConnectionImpl.<init>(SocketOrChannelConnectionImpl.java:188)

>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.transport.SocketOrChannelConnectionImpl.<init>(SocketOrChannelConnectionImpl.java:218)

>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.transport.SocketOrChannelContactInfoImpl.createConnection(SocketOrChannelContactInfoImpl.java:101)

>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.protocol.CorbaClientRequestDispatcherImpl.beginRequest(CorbaClientRequestDispatcherImpl.java:152)

>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.protocol.CorbaClientDelegateImpl.request(CorbaClientDelegateImpl.java:118)

>     com.sun.corba.se.impl.protocol.CorbaClientDelegateImpl.is_a(CorbaClientDelegateImpl.java:211)

>     org.omg.CORBA.portable.ObjectImpl._is_a(ObjectImpl.java:112)
>
> I use: Tomcat 6.0.26 on Linux JVM: 1.6.0_20-b02

At first sight, it doesn't look as if this is a Tomcat issue.  It seems
more of an issue within your servlet.
Is this servlet opening its own connection to something else?
If yes, then you probably forget to close this connection when you are
done with it, and they accumulate until the OS tells your process that
it has too many open sockets at the same time.

Doing a "netstat -an" would probably provide more information.

If you are under Unix/Linux, you can also try "lsof", but only studying
the options is already quite a challenge.