tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Streaming text files to user
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 19:11:39 GMT
Roman Sokolyuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please point me to some information? I am having difficulty
> finding what I need on Google.
>
> I want to embed links in my page that, when clicked on will download a text
> file form the file system onto users desktop - stream it.
>
> However, if possible I want to avoid writing a separate process for it. I
> heard that Tomcat may already have the facility to do this for me - I just
> need to configure it and construct the link accordingly. So, a pointer to
> the right docs would be much appreciated.

It may be just the way you explain it, but I don't really understand
what the problem is.  Tomcat will "naturally" (without even having to
add anything to the basic configuration) return the content of a text
file, if it is in the right place and the link on your page points to
it.  That is maybe why you do not find anything on Google about it :
because it is not an issue and never was.
(It is also unusual to talk about "streaming" for a text file).

So what have you tried to do and what does not work, and how does it not
work ?
Oh, and maybe provide some details about your Tomcat version and so on.