tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: confused with Tomcat...
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 19:18:22 GMT
macbd1 wrote:

> I still know little if anything about the world of Apache Tomcat but
> presently don't have time to thoroughly investigate.

Well then, a quick primer : Apache Tomcat is a special kind of webserver
(more precisely named a servlet engine), whose main function is to run
web applications written in the Java programming language, commonly
called "webapps" and/or "servlets", which generate what is called
"active content" (as opposed to purely static html pages).
Apache Tomcat also belongs to the categories of "free software" (in the
sense that it costs nothing) and "open source software" (in the sense
that anyone can look at the code and re-use it), and is made and
supported entirely by volunteers.  Most of them are Java programmers,
but a surprising number of them are fairly normal people.