tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat does not honor acceptCount configuration variable
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 12:35:19 GMT
Timir Hazarika wrote:
> Andre,
>
> Response from Leon just about summarizes this issue: the shock absorber you
> mention is not configurable. Setting the acceptCount to 1 or nine hundred
> produces exactly the same behavior in terms of connections awaiting
> response.

Then that would be a bug, no ? In the sense that the documentation says :

acceptCount

The maximum queue length for incoming connection requests when all
possible request processing threads are in use. Any requests received
when the queue is full will be refused. The default value is 100.

> The "stricter" scheme hence, serves as a usable application workaround for
> now.

If the above bug is real, then yes, it makes a difference.
I still believe that handling this at the level of a front-end makes
more sense.  At least there, you can return something nice rather than
brutally rejecting the connection, and you can also examine the request
to determine if you really want to block it or not.