tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Help:tomcat 6.0.18 showdown automatically!
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 07:24:59 GMT
red phoenix wrote:
> tomcat6 shutdown after ten minutes, localhost.2010-05-09.log is follows:
> 2010-5-9 22:36:12 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>  Info: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
>  2010-5-9 22:45:12 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
>  Info: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
>
> But when server.xml file is follows:
>  <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>              unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>              xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
> After 30 minutes,tomcat6 shutdown automatically. There is no any new log in
> log files! I am puzzled with it. I don't know what raise tomcat 6
> shutdown automatically.

There are a few known reasons why Tomcat would stop, but there must be a
trace somewhere. Have you checked the system's Event Logs ?

What happens when you start Tomcat from the startup.bat file in the
Tomcat/bin directory ?

> My log files are follows:
> Info: validateJarFile(Q:\Tomcat\webapps\MyApp\WEB-INF\lib\servlet-api.jar) -
> jar not loaded. See Servlet Spec 2.3, section 9.7.2. Offending class:
> javax/servlet/Servlet.class

The above indicates that you have a copy of servlet-api.jar where it
says, in your webapp dir. It should not be there.
For Tomcat6, it should be only in tomcat_dir/lib.

By the way, it would help if you would indicate :
- the exact version of Windows; 32- or 64-bit ?
- the version of the Java JVM; 32- or 64-bit ?
- how much RAM you have on that system
- the precise version of Tomcat : 6.x.y
- where you downloaded it from, and which exact download link you used
   (the .exe service installer, or the .zip version ?)
- how you are starting Tomcat : as a Windows Service ?
- how do you know that Tomcat stopped, if there is nothing in the logs ?
- what appears in the Windows Event logs, when Tomcat stops ?