tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic configuration of workers
Date Sun, 09 May 2010 12:25:53 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 23:20, Smith, Mark wrote:

 Access control, SSL termination, URL path based routing, etc.

>> I considered using ipvsadm on the Apache box to route traffic to TomCats, but there
is another EC2 specific problem:  All the routing methods LVS uses don't work on EC2 because
they _ONLY_ route TCP, UDP and ICMP:
>> - Direct Routing messes with Ethernet headers.  Not a chance.
>> - Tunneling uses IP-in-IP tunneling, which is neither TCP, UDP nor ICMP. *grump*
>> - NAT gets blocked by the EC2 firewalls, which makes sense.
>> - I even tried setting up GRE tunnels; no love.
>>
>> So, yeah.  Thought of that already too.  :-)
>>
>> Anyone else have any ideas?  So far, modifying /etc/hosts looks like the best solution,
even though it tips my kludge-o-meter past my comfort zone.

> Take a look at mod_cluster from JBoss. I haven't looked at it for a
> while but when I saw it at ApacheCon EU last year it looked like it
> might be what you are looking for.

Also, modifying /etc/hosts may not be the panacea.  I would imagine that
e.g. mod_jk instances do not do a name resolving call at each
transaction, and that they cache the result.