tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat administration
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 14:04:53 GMT
testwreq wreq wrote:
> I have a new installation of tomcat on centos. My $CATALINA_HOME is
> /usr/share/tomcat5 and tomcat is running.
>
> http://localhost:8080 brings up the tomcat page & one of the option is
> "Administration". I would like to use this web interface and even give some
> of the test webapp users ability to restart tomcat.

No webapp will give you that last option.
A webapp may allow one to stop Tomcat, but then you'd have a problem.

> According to the home page, users are defined in
> $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml. Currently my file has the following
> content
>  more tomcat-users.xml
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <tomcat-users>
>   <role rolename="tomcat"/>
>   <role rolename="role1"/>
>   <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
>   <user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
>   <user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
> </tomcat-users>
>
> I tried logging to the administration web interface with tomcat/tomcat but
> it did not work. Can anyone guide to configure this file? I am very new to
> tomcat.

If you view CATALINA_HOME/server/webapps/manager/WEB-INF/web.xml, at the
end you will see that it requires a user with the role "manager".
So above add :

    <role rolename="manager"/>
and modify
    <user username="tomcat" password="*******" roles="tomcat,manager"/>
(or add another user with that role)

That will allow you to access the Manager application.
For the "Admin" application however, I'm not sure, but it must be
something similar.

I seem to remember however that the Admin application is no longer
developed or supported or both.  But I cannot immediately find a
reference to it on the Tomcat site.