tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: error with jk_module
Date Wed, 05 May 2010 22:00:21 GMT

On 5/5/2010 3:05 PM, Dave Filchak wrote:
> Actually, the server version for this instance is 2.0.52 and I have the
> following now in my config:
> LoadModule jk_module /usr/local/apache2/modules/
> and when I test the config I get:
> API module structure `jk_module' in file
> /usr/local/apache2/modules/ is garbled - perhaps this is not an
> Apache module DSO?

What happens when you do:

$ file /usr/local/apache2/modules/

Did you check the md5sum from the mirror you used to download?

> I made sure I downloaded the .so for Apache 2.0.x so I think that is
> right. I have a tomcat app running so I am wondering, do I have to shut
> it down before trying to restart the server or testing the config?

No, you can (re)start Apache and Tomcat in any order.

> If I comment the LoadModule out, then it starts complaining about the
> JkWorkersFile and if I comment that, the the JkShmFile ... and on it
> goes. It is very annoying.

Try doing this:

<IfModule mod_jk.c>
  JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
  JkLogLevel Info
  JkShmFile /var/log/apache2/jk-runtime-status
  JkWorkersFile /etc/apache2/

The "IfModule" will have Apache skip the mod_jk configuration if the
module isn't loaded.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -