tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bytecode <bytec...@me.com>
Subject Re: The purpose of maxPostSize
Date Sun, 02 May 2010 11:54:34 GMT
Thanks for all the answers. But it still isn't clear to me what Tomcat guys are referring to
by a "FORM URL." Looks like this term isn't defined anywhere else in the docs.

On 02/05/2010, at 9:42 PM, André Warnier wrote:

> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 02/05/2010 09:57, Bytecode wrote:
>>> According to Tomcat docs, the purpose of maxPostSize is:
>>>
>>> The maximum size in bytes of the POST which will be handled by the container
FORM URL parameter parsing. The limit can be disabled by setting this attribute to a value
less than or equal to 0. If not specified, this attribute is set to 2097152 (2 megabytes).

>>> Now the question is what's meant by "the container FORM URL parameter parsing"?
What's a FORM URL? What's the container's FORM URL parameter parsing? Also, what is a possible
use case of this parameter?
>> It limits the size of data that will be processed automatically by
>> Tomcat for a POST request where the content type is
>> application/x-www-form-urlencoded. See section 3.1.1 of the Servlet 3.0
>> spec.
>> If the application parses the data then, regardless of content type, the
>> limit does not apply.
> Does this mean that at the Tomcat container level, there is no way to avoid Tomcat accepting
a POST of more than a certain size ?