tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Thad Humphries <>
Subject Re: Problems with ImageIO
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 20:35:54 GMT

Setting the JreMemoryLeakPreventionListener attribute
appContextProtection="false" also fixes the problem.

My read of documentation makes me think

(1) This leak situation may arise when I use "stop" or "reload" on my
(2) It can also be prevented by placing my JAI and JAI-IMAGE I/O jars in
CATALINA_HOME/lib or JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext vs my WEB-INF/lib.

Is this read correct? Regarding #2, javax.imageio.ImageIO is part of the
JDK, but the readers for TIFF are loaded from jai_imageio.jar
I prefer to keep the jars in my WEB-INF/lib as it's less intrusive to the
server manager.