tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Context.xml being deleted
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:24:08 GMT
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Sam Stephens <samspade79@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a forum application. When we update it we want to distribute a
> new war file (previously we updated all files individually). If we
> give out a new war file to our customers the images directory, the
> attachments directory and other directories that contain user uploaded
> data will be wiped out.
>
> Is there a solution to this dilemma? Sym links are are no - you'd have
> to remake them each time so still a lot of work.

Well, AFAIK it's either symlinks (which can be scripted in deployment
processes pretty easily) or put all that stuff in a separate context that
you never, ever, EVER undeploy :-)

I've used both approaches, can't really say I have a preference. The
latter might be a little less work, and definitely reduces the exposure
to symlink oopsies...

FWIW,
twitter: @hassan