tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Konstantin Kolinko <knst.koli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FAQ: Tomcat 6 Java Version Requirements
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:02:27 GMT
2010/4/30 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>:
> Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> 2010/4/29 Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>:
>>>
>>> I was just looking on the TC site to see what minimum Java version is
>>> required for TC 6. I just assumed that it would be there because,
>>> whenever that question is asked on the list, a snippy response usually
>>> follows it.
>>
>> I know of the following places where it is written:
>>
>> 1. README.html,
>> that is linked from the Download page, and that is also displayed when
>> you browse the download area,
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi
>> -> "Please see the README"
>>
>> 2. RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>> that is linked from many places, including the above mentioned README,
>> the documentation, and also included in every download bundle.
>>
>> 3. RUNNING.txt
>> that is included into distributions as well.
>>
>> Anything else is needed?
>>

> Putting it in a file which you get only after you have downloaded Tomcat
> seems to me .. unfair.

All the above mentioned files are accessible online.

Maybe the "Please see the README file" phrase on the download page can
be tweaked a bit.

> unfair.

Requiring to read documentation before running a product is "unfair" ?
 All the files that you have to read first do contain that
information.  Maybe we can adjust some wording and some headers to be
more clear, though.

> On 4/29/2010 5:20 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> > Suggestion : in the little table at the top of the "which version?"
> > page, add a column with the minimum Java version required.
>
> +1

If anybody wants to provide a patch, the file is
/site/trunk/xdocs/whichversion.xml

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko