tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: General / Special cause under which TOMCAT Crash been noticed
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:36:00 GMT
On 4/29/2010 1:05 PM, Gregor Schneider wrote:
> Karthik,
>
> AFAIK there is no study telling the likeliness of any web- /
> application-server to crash.
>
> If there wer such a study, you'd have to specify a 'lot' of possible
> crash-scenarioes - startung at misbehaviour of admins, ddos, bad
> webapps etc.
>
> Make sure you have some solutions ready in case of DDoS, see that your
> OS is stable and on a current patchlevel and scrutinize  the software
> you're installing into Tomcat (aka Webapps) thoroughly - that's about
> it.
>
> If I did not understand your question correctly, you might want to rephrase it.

+1.  I don't know how to crash tomcat intentionally once it has started
successfully, except for deleting or renaming files and folders it needs
to run, which would require direct access to the server.  If there were
a reliable way of crashing it remotely, I'm sure the developers would
like to know, so it could be fixed...