tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Way to generate a "localhost.log" instead of "localhost-4-20-2010.log"?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:50:03 GMT
Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2010/4/20 André Warnier <aw@ice-sa.com>:
>> I suggest a simple way whereby to tell Tomcat (optionally) just /not/ to
>> rotate its logfiles itself, and to always write to a fixed filename.
>> (an additional property in logging.properties ?)
>> There exists under Linux the logrotate utility, which is perfect for that
>> kind of thing.  And with Apache (Unix and Windows) is supplied the
>> rotatelogs utility, which can be used with a pipe to much the same effect.
>> Not much to do at the Tomcat level, and much simplification at the sysadmin
>> level.
>>

> If you do not want the rotation, that is already available.
>
> Just use a
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/util/logging/FileHandler.html

Thank you Konstantin, that is helpful to know (and not so evident for
dummies).
But could you indicate where exactly this has to be set in the standard
vanilla Tomcat logging.properties file (or elsewhere) to achieve the
"not rotate" aspect ?
Once I know (and try), I will add an article to the FAQ/Wiki to that effect.