tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Way to generate a "localhost.log" instead of "localhost-4-20-2010.log"?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:11:24 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 19/04/2010 22:32, André Warnier wrote:
>> I disagree.
>> The point raised by the OP above is one that bothers a lot of people.
>> The lame bit is the way in which standard out-of-the-box Tomcat
>> generates its logfiles, and their rotation, inflexibly.
>> And yes, I know one can implement log4j and do whatever one wants, but
>> for a large number of Tomcat occasional users and admins, that's too
>> much to ask.
>> I am not trying to start a flame, and I like Tomcat in general, and I
>> try to contribute to the limits of my limited abilities.  I am just
>> pointing out one area in which, in my view, Tomcat is a bit deficient
>> for people who cannot spent much of their time on one particular
>> server-type software.
>
> So I can expect to see an enhancement request with some clear
> requirements that go beyond "the current implementation is lame" in
> bugzilla some time soon?

Allright.
How about collecting some suggestions before on this list ?

I suggest a simple way whereby to tell Tomcat (optionally) just /not/ to
rotate its logfiles itself, and to always write to a fixed filename.
(an additional property in logging.properties ?)
There exists under Linux the logrotate utility, which is perfect for
that kind of thing.  And with Apache (Unix and Windows) is supplied the
rotatelogs utility, which can be used with a pipe to much the same effect.
Not much to do at the Tomcat level, and much simplification at the
sysadmin level.