tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Way to generate a "localhost.log" instead of "localhost-4-20-2010.log"?
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:32:29 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 19/04/2010 15:29, laredotornado wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Tomcat 6.0.26 on Mac 10.6.3.  Currently, in my $CATALINA_HOME/logs
>> directory, Tomcat produces a localhost*log file with the date in the file
>> name for each day, for example -- localhost.2010-04-19.  Is there a way to
>> get Tomcat to generate simply "localhost.log" for whatever day today is?  If
>> not, does anyone know a shell short cut where I can just type in something
>> like "vim ~/localhost.log" and see the most current log without having to
>> specify today's date?
>
> You know about using the tab key in shell?
> Not being bothered to fill in the right filename seems a bit lame.

I disagree.
The point raised by the OP above is one that bothers a lot of people.
The lame bit is the way in which standard out-of-the-box Tomcat
generates its logfiles, and their rotation, inflexibly.
And yes, I know one can implement log4j and do whatever one wants, but
for a large number of Tomcat occasional users and admins, that's too
much to ask.
I am not trying to start a flame, and I like Tomcat in general, and I
try to contribute to the limits of my limited abilities.  I am just
pointing out one area in which, in my view, Tomcat is a bit deficient
for people who cannot spent much of their time on one particular
server-type software.