tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rhino <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Basic Question
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:07:29 GMT
I hope someone will take pity on me and help me with this very basic
question. I was moderately fluent with servlets and Tomcat several years
ago but haven't touched them in a while. I'm trying to get back into
servlets now.

I am having trouble getting my servlets to start in Tomcat. I inevitably
get a 404 error. I am running Tomcat 6.0.26 on Windows XP SP2. The
sample applications in Tomcat run fine.

My servlets are in Eclipse 3.5.2. They compile fine and I have used the
Tomcat menu to export them to the war file directory; no error gets
reported when I do the export. I did a manual deploy of the war file
from the "war file to deplay section of the Tomcat Manager page.

When I start the Tomcat Manager in my browser, it shows several
servlets, including the examples and the servlets that I have deployed
myself. In each case, my own servlets seem to be started just fine. All
of them say "running", the number of sessions is 0 for each of them, and
all of them have stop, reload and undeploy options which are clickable
and a start option which is not clickable. To me, that says these
puppies are started and there is no error in any of them.

However, when I click on my servlets, like /FileUploadServlet for
example, I get this:

  HTTP Status 404 - /FileUploadServlet/

*type* Status report

*message* _/FileUploadServlet/_

*description* _The requested resource (/FileUploadServlet/) is not
available._

      Apache Tomcat/6.0.26

I feel sure that I've simply neglected to do something simple and
straightforward but my memory is failing me. I can't remember what other
steps are needed to get a servlet configured so that it runs in Tomcat.

I was going to try to run the servlet in Eclipse but I'm darned if I can
remember how to start it there either.

Can someone help me out?

--
Rhino